Thursday, October 7, 2010

Blood Bath

So I went in for my 2nd nerve block procedure today. A few weeks ago I had an occipital nerve block done on both sides of my head. Very simple procedure, sit down in the chair, Dr sat behind me sting here sting there and that's all folks. Except that I was inches from passing out. They had to help me walk to the table to lie down while the nurse went and got me some apple juice and cookies. Aren't I special? As it turns out I'm one of the lucky ones that has reactions to nerve blocks. Quite frankly after having a needle that size shoved up to your skull (literally) I have to wonder how a person doesn't have a reaction - but whatever. Because of my reaction to the easy one the 2nd one had to be done at the hospital with some sedation. And because the first one didn't really stop the daily headaches off to round 2 I went. Four facet joints were the target of today's nerve blocks - these little joints are part of the spine! Backing up, there has always been some pain around these joints when Dr. Ratzman pokes and prods and he said from the beginning that they could be part of the problem. So there we were at the hospital at the unholy hour of 7:30am on the day that Eli Lilly had 70 closed for beautification so traffic was FUN! Anyway the fabulous nurse comes to get me, makes my day by reading my weight in kg instead of pounds and on to the sedation part we go. So I'm answering the 500 questions that I swear to you I had already answered on the questionnaire that they gave me when I got there. Seriously, every single one of them. Not like I would have changed my answers between the waiting room and the procedure room. Whatever. So while I'm answering questions the other nurse is getting the IV ready so we can get on with this procedure. She gets it in my arm and all is seemingly well in the world, right? Wrong. She then grabs the tube leading to the saline solution that goes through my veins until we're ready for the big drugs and as she attaches it to my IV she goes oh well that's weird I think there's a leak. I turn to look at my arm and her and wouldn't you know it blood is dripping down both of our arms and then it just starts squirting out from the hole in the tube. My blood + saline solution + hole in IV tube = blood bath! They were like I've never seen this before - well of course you havent' because we've not met before. :)
I feel like there should probably be a warning label that comes with me! But maybe it could be really vague so as not to scare people something along the lines of expect the unexpected!

4 comments:

Nancy said...

Bless your heart! So did they do the job in the end after they cleaned up the blood bath (now you know what to do for Halloween)? And how long does it take to work?

KiraDanielle said...

Yes I probably should have included that they did do the procedure and it went just fine. My neck hurts but I think that is to be expected :)

Brandi Wolf said...

Oh no Kira! I'm so sorry!! Hopefully the headache of it all will actually take away your headaches! Feel better soon :)

Unknown said...

Sounds like a horror film!! Hope you get to feeling better soon!